This is Adopt-a-Soldier Platoon's fifth consecutive Super Bowl Party in the Middle East and the first year in AFG.
This year, the party was for the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) Joint Command. The attendees mainly consisted of American soldiers and civilians with a sprinkling of other NATO nations that follow American football such as Great Britain, Germany, Poland, Norway and Belgium.
The IJC (for short) is a Three-Star led Operational NATO Headquarters (similar to a Corps Headquarters). IJC was very recently established to provide increased Command and Control capability for NATO forces providingsecurity of Afghanistan and combating the war on terror. The IJC provides a necessary link between the tactical level and the soldiers on the ground everyday who are working with the people to increase their internal capacity for governance, development, and most importantly security-- while relieving the burden upon the Four-Star lead Strategic ISAF Headquarters (ISAF HQ) and allow it to be directly involved in mentoring and assisting the National Afghan government to provide competent and trustworthy governmental leadership to the Afghan people that live outside of Kabul, that they can believe in, and support.
It's exciting to have our first Super Bowl party in Afghanistan. We received some great goodies from our supporters:
* Super Bowl hats, golf shirts and other NFL CBS goodies from CBS Sports (thanks Pete R., Flora G. and Lara for the help)
* Array of calendars, picture cards, autographed posters, and t-shirts from the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders (thanks Melanie)
* Football jerseys of the NY Giants and NY Jets from the Meadowlands -- and a replica Jets helmet too (thanks Judy G)
* Signed foldout team pictures from the New England Patriot cheerleaders (thanks Rob)
* Goodies from the Seattle Seahawks (thanks Connie and Rob)
* Lots of Coffee from our friends at Coffee Associates, some of which will be directed to Kabul for the party (thanks Bill)
* Amazon, Best Buy and Barnes and Noble gift cards from BAE Systems (thanks Alicia L.)
* A snacks cornucopia from Lara and her crew
You can see the joy on the faces of the warriors at the party. They truly had a good time. Thanks all!!
Thanks to Pete R. and Flora G. of CBS Sports, the troops in Kabul will enjoy these great CBS Super Bowl souvenirs, including hats, golf shirts and t-shirts. Also pictured are part of a boat load of snacks purchased for the party by our trustee Lara S., her family and friends. Thanks all!!
Thanks to Judy G, we sent Giants and Jets jerseys and a Jets replica helmet to Kabul for the Super Bowl party!